Sunday, May 18, 2014

Weekly Yabai Kamoshiranai Mail

Mother's day calls were hilarious, Elder Henderson's family seemed more interested in hearing my accent and asking me to say 'fair dinkum' rather than talking to their son. I sent a letter to his Mum last transfer saying thanks for the cookies she sent him and she loved it so much that she is going to send more. Success.

We had the best lesson we ever have had with an investigator who has been investigating for a very long time, the Spirit was there and I know so strongly that he felt it too. It is the first time I have been here when he has finally said that he will ask God. He said when he knows it is true he will be baptised. So I am praying that this humbling decision (to finally pray to know) will make something out of him, if he does it sincerely and allows it to change him. 

We have an awesome investigator who we were led to while housing at the start of last transfer, who is progressing towards baptism. This week we taught him the word of wisdom. The lesson before, he just randomly said he wants to quit smoking - solid timing! Then that lesson when we taught him with a member present, he originally said he can't quit smoking. That he couldn't. After one of, if not the most, spiritual lesson I've been in, we gave him a blessing. I gave it in English and Elder Lefradnt translated it, and it was the first Priesthood blessing I have ever given, but the Spirit was so incredibly strong, I could feel it and feel God's desire for him to live the Word of Wisdom so strongly. After the blessing, he shook our hands and said 'I will quit.' We have a program with him that he is doing well in and are visiting him every day. He came to Church and is really excited to be baptised next month. Hearing the message about being cleansed from sin really motivates him to change. 

There was one man we contacted on the street last transfer who had met missionaries years back and had been given a Book of Mormon. When we talked with him we invited him to read the Book of Mormon, and he didn't really seem all that interested so we honestly didn't think much of it. This week we ran in to him again, and he said he had been reading the Book of Mormon, and asked us how he can be baptised. Haha, I'll be honest, I think my Japanese is getting there, but I still just assumed I didn't hear right. But no, he wants us to visit him, he came to Church this weekend, and it turns out he is friends with the investigator I wrote about in the last paragraph. They didn't even know each other knew missionaries until recently, so they actually came to Church together. What a miracle.

Okay I am writing way too much but we went on splits this week, I was with Elder Henderson from California. We did finding for most of the day as our appointments fell through, but late at night we housed this lady, and her dog went running out the gate just before we opened our mouths to introduce ourselves, so we started running after it, all the way down the street yelling sorry to the lady. Finally we got the dog to stay still and we held it, but when we tried picking it up or moving it, it would yelp, so we felt bad. After 2 or so minutes of us trying to decide what to do, the lady came with the dog's leash. A little awkward, but as we started talking, testifying and inviting, it turned in to a really spiritual experience. We gave her a Book of Mormon and she was open to us meeting with her again.

So to all the missionaries out there; if you want someone to read the Book of Mormon, let their dog run off.

That is this week! It's hot! It's rainy, sometimes! I have dubbed myself the Red Sea, because I'm red and sunburnt, and absolutely dripping with sweat 24/7. That is all.




No comments:

Post a Comment